Monday, January 5, 2009

A Routine, So Refreshing!

Don't get me wrong, I love the hustle and bustle of the holidays, but it is so nice to be back to the life we live the other 11 months of the year. So back to the norm for us. I set out activities and the boys do them at their leisure. Both boys were so excited when they saw all of the activities set up downstairs.


In keeping with out fish theme, we played a new fish reading game today. DMan chooses a fish with a word on it and then puts him in the fish bowl with the coresponding picture. I use this game with my violin students all of the time, except I use a bucket and fishing rod and let them actually fish, but that just doesn't work with a curious baby around. I think DMan will get a kick out of that. I'll have to give the fishing pole version a try when Logan is napping.
DMan was helping Nathan "read" the fish. Too cute. (He also demonstrated pooping on the potty to NatMan. I am really hoping that NatMan catches on to that lesson.)





Also I placed out the Unifix cubes, but only had one black, two burgundy, three orange, etc. I set out all of the cubes in a pile, not stacked. I was sort of curious to see what DMan would do with them. Turns out, he used them the same way he does the cuisenaire rods, first he stacked them and then placed them from zero to nine. He wanted the cubes to stand up, so he went and found some blocks to support his "steps". It is so nice that he works through problems on his own now instead of throwing himself on the ground out of frustration like he would have done a couple months ago. Okay, he still throws himself on the ground, but it has gotten much better.
Then he ran off with the cubes and used them as part of a tower.

And a road, with bridges and slides and traps....



I have debated starting some letter of the week program with NatMan, but I think I am going to hold off for now. Perhaps we'll start after his birthday. I think him not knowing his letters is an issue is best solved with time. So we'll see how things are going then. Right now he is just happy to do all of the activities with DMan.

No comments:

Post a Comment